Thick pea and ham soup (slimming world friendly)

When I cooked the gammon ham in water it left a delicious stock which I wanted to use to make a soup . (I hate waste) I left it to go cold overnight so could skim every little bit of fat from it. I do love thick soups when the weather starts to get colder. All stock cubes are free now on slimming world and I know knorr make ham flavoured stock cubes so even if you haven't done a boiled ham you can still make this soup. I make this in a large saucepan which is the base of my pressure cooker.


Thick pea and ham soup

4 -6 pints (approx) ham stock (big saucepan full :  )
2 onions (chopped)
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp pepper
4-6 carrots (peeled and sliced)
1 lb (approx) new potatoes cut into large cubes
2 tsp vegetable stock powder (if needed, taste the stock first)
8oz diced ham
1 large mug of split peas
salt to taste (may not be necessary)


Bring stock to a boil and add the onions and sage, simmer for 10 minutes then add the split peas, carrots and potatoes. Simmer until peas are cooked and very soft and soup is thickened, Taste for seasoning and add the vegetable stock powder if need to .

 Add the ham and cook for a few more minutes, Season with pepper and salt if necessary but probably won't need the salt as the stock will be salty enough.

Sorry not a very exact recipe but I sort of play it by ear and its very tasty and filling :  )











  

Popular Posts