Moroccan lamb (Slimming World friendly)

I am so lucky to have a wonderful butchers near where I work and all their meat is from local farms. Find them here ... http://cigmynyddcymru.co.uk/ and so when I was asked to cook at a food festival I knew I wanted to make something using their local lamb.

 I love the Moroccan flavours in this dish and it's really easy to make, I served it with some couscous with pomegranate seeds and a tomato and red onion salad. It went down really well with my family and I'm hoping everyone at the food festival will love it too.

The harissa paste is easily available in most supermarkets I bought mine in ASDA it gives a little heat don't worry it's not very hot just a nice warmth. The apricot jam might sound like an odd ingredient but it's a personal thing I'm not keen on fruit in savoury meals so by using the jam it just adds the flavour without the pieces of fruit but feel free to add chopped apricots if you prefer.


The food festival is in Torfaen (Big Pit) in South Wales on Sunday 18th June the link is here  https://museum.wales/bigpit/whatson/9485/Fathers-Day-FEASTival-/
if you are local and free on Sunday pay me a visit !


Moroccan Lamb 

1 kg lean diced lamb
2 onions (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp ginger paste (grated fresh ginger or from a jar)
1 tbsp harissa paste
1 can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
3/4 pint vegetable stock (from a cube is fine)
1 can chickpeas (drained)
1 tbsp apricot jam
salt and pepper
low calorie spray oil (or use rapeseed oil and syn it if you prefer)


Place a large deep frying pan or large saucepan over a medium/high heat and spray with oil. Add the onions and fry for a few minutes until soft and slightly browned then add the lamb and the ginger and garlic. Cook until the lamb is coloured slightly and not pink anymore.

Add the harissa paste. stir well and cook for five minutes making sure everything is coated with the paste. Add the stock, tomatoes and tomato puree. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the sauce has reduced down and thicker, Add 2 tsp salt and a tsp of pepper, stir well and taste you might need a little more seasoning. Stir in the tbsp of apricot jam and add the drained chickpeas. Stir well again and just cook for another five minutes.


Serves 4 at 2 syns per portion.


Popular Posts