Dishoom tomato and chili jam

 



I have not been lucky enough to get to a branch of the Indian restaurant Dishoom yet but in lockdown I bought one of their bacon naan roll kits online and it was delicious.  (They are still available on their website) I was browsing on their site the other day and found the recipe how to make their tomato and chili jam so had to give it a try. 

It's really easy to make and although seems like a lot of sugar in the recipe you only need a teaspoon or two of the jam per portion so not that bad. I did a few tweaks to the recipe though, The recipe says to blend it but I left it as it was so had just a bit of texture as it simmers down to a thick jam.  I used tinned tomatoes for this but think I'll try it at the end of the Summer with leftover fresh tomatoes and had no rice vinegar in so used cider vinegar instead. I also used frozen ginger and garlic as always have it in the freezer. 

Actually reading this I did make quite a few tweaks to the recipe!


Dishoom tomato and chili jam 


800g chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)

300g granulated sugar

4 cloves garlic (crushed and chopped finely) 

2 tbsp fresh grated ginger 

2-3 green chili (finely chopped)

125ml rice vinegar (or cider vinegar) 


Mix everything together and simmer over a low heat until thick and jammy. I potted it in sterilised warm jars and will keep for about 6 months in a cool dark place but keep in fridge once opened. 






Popular Posts