Spinach and ricotta orzotto



This recipe came about when had some chicken breasts ready for dinner and was trying to think of a side dish as we had potatoes and rice already this week I just opened the cupboard and saw the orzo and knew I had a tub of ricotta in the fridge which put me in mind of my spinach and ricotta pasta but thought I'd try it with orzo which I know is a pasta but it's more like rice. (If that makes sense!!) I f you have never tried it orzo is a pasta shaped like rice grains and makes delicious risotto type dishes. 

Anyway I made this and it was very popular with my family and was thinking this is a lovely vegetarian recipe but would be good with maybe cooked chicken or prawns in it too to make a one pot dinner.  It is really quick and easy give it a try x


Spinach and ricotta orzotto

250g orzo

1 tbsp olive oil or spray oil

1 onion (chopped)

2 cloves garlic (crushed) 

1 litre vegetable stock (from a stockpot or cube is fine)

250g tub ricotta 

100g bag pre washed baby spinach 

parmesan shavings (if liked)

salt and pepper 


Place a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil(or spray oil) then add the onion and garlic, Fry until soft but not brown and then put in the orzo and stir well to coat the orzo. 

Pour in the vegetable stock and stir,  Simmer on a lower heat stirring occasionally until most of the  stock has bubbled away,  Tip in the tub of ricotta and mix well then add the bag of baby spinach and stir everything together until the spinach has wilted into the orzotto. 

I find this needs quite a lot of seasoning so add a good teaspoon of salt and pepper and stir well and taste you might need a little more seasoning. 

Serve with the parmesan shavings over if you like. 

Serves four as a side dish or two as a main course


Popular Posts