Mushroom and feta orzotto

 



I love orzo , I made this recipe when I had a vegetarian friend ask what recipes she could do with mushrooms. I am a big fan of orzo as it makes quick, tasty and easy dinners with no standing over it like risotto. 

This recipe is vegetarian but could be vegan without the cheese and ensuring any stock used was vegan, I think smoked tofu could be a delicious extra too. 


Mushroom and Feta orzotto

250g orzo

1 onion (diced) 

2 cloves garlic (crushed) 

500ml vegetable stock (from a cube or stockpot is fine)

250g mushrooms (any variety sliced)

1 tsp dried thyme

200g feta (crumbled) 

1 tbsp vegetable oil

salt and pepper 


Take a large saucepan or wok and put in the oil over  low heat add the onions, garlic and thyme and cook over a low heat until onions are softened. 

Add the orzo, mushrooms and stock and simmer gently until almost all the stock has absorbed. Taste to see if needs salt and pepper. 

Dish up into serving bowls and top with crumbled feta cheese. 

Serves 4 and I  like to serve either with a salad or some broccoli 

Popular Posts