Vimto braised red cabbage

This red cabbage recipe has recently become  favourite of mine for a Sunday dinner, I took the idea from the Manchester restaurant 'The Refuge' where I went with my family for Sunday lunch when visiting my daughter. It was delicious and I thought I could replicate the recipe at home so had a try and it was very popular.

It's really easy and just looks after itself in the oven and I have also made it in my pressure king pro and I might see how it does in a slow cooker too. I think I'll definitely be making it for Christmas dinner. It is also a great dish to make ahead of time as it reheats really well and you can freeze it too which I certainly be doing on Christmas Day!


Vimto braised red cabbage

1 red cabbage (core removed and sliced thinly)
1 large onion (chopped)
50ml sugar free vimto (not diluted )
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper


Place everything in an ovenproof casserole mix well and cover with lid. ( If you don't have a lid a piece of foil tightly placed over the dish will be ok) then place in the oven at Gas 2/150/300 for 2 hours stirring every now and then.

Remove from the oven and taste it might need a little more balsamic and salt and pepper.

Syn free



Popular Posts